Monday, June 18, 2007

 

Yesterday

Yesterday was Father's Day. I don't put a whole lotta weight into the holiday for many different reasons, so if Felicia chooses to do something or not do something for me, it doesn't matter to me all that much. If she did do something for me, I would appreciate it greatly. This year, she chose not to. She did send me an e-card and say, "Happy Father's Day" to me. I guess that is something. I won't go into why I don't care about the holiday here, but you can guess that YES, it is indeed political.

My father, Louis "Louie" Wilbur Johnson, passed away on December 31, 1981. He was 48. My dad was a boiler-maker and made a lot of money when he was working. He made more per hour working in the field, but worked less so made pretty much the same amount per year. My father also wanted to be a political activist. My father, a member of the Siletz (as it were), wanted to be a part of the whole movement back in the '70's. My mother, who was rather forceful in the arena of "money," dragged him out of one meeting when she found out the tribe wasn't going to be handing out big fat checks to individuals. You should have seen the broken look on my father's face. My mother his still alive and lives in North Portland here somewhere. I haven't seen her in over a year and a half. She doesn't call nor make an attempt to get in contact with me either.

My dad had a wonderful smile. I have a picture of that somewhere, or maybe my sister does. I'll have to see if I can't find it and post it.

My father also helped in the raising of a lot of kids. Something his mother passed on to him.

My father was also an alcoholic. I got to watch him drink himself to death, especially as my sisters moved away. I was there when it started, my mother was the only one there when it ended, and I regret that I wasn't.

Dad, if you're out there somewhere...I miss you. I know you'd Love Rhonda, and Ridwan, and all of my other friends. I know you'd be horning in on the shows and letting you opinion known. I know you'd be learning, and struggling, right along with the rest of us. You were a good human being...and I miss you.

--Your Son, Eugene Douglas Johnson





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]