Sunday, May 13, 2007

 

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly, the Extremely Funny, and the Not So Extremely Funny

Rhonda turned me on to a pretty good movie with Annette Benning called, "In Dreams." It's about a woman who dreams, it turns out, a prediction of her daughter's abduction and murder, though she didn't know about it at the time. Some parts weren't too believable, but the suspense carried you through the whole thing.

In the good category, but not great, is Sherman Alexie's new book, "Flight." It is about a young Indian boy, 15, who goes on a shooting rampage in a bank and gets shot in the head and starts finding himself in other peoples bodies throughout time. As Sherman Alexie put it, he wanted to write an Indian version of "Slaughterhouse Five," by Kurt Vonnegut, which I also recently read and is an excellent book. The book is very engaging, I read it in a day, but days afterward, it left me with some questions: One character just didn't seem to fit in the story, and a few other things, but I don't want to give away anything until other folks read the book.

BAD! "Tideland," a film by Terry Gilliam, has got to be one of the worst films I've seen in a while. The story went nowhere and left me empty at the end. It was very engaging, the acting fantastic, the writing and character development well done, but the story...the story went into a whole lot of empty. Some parts are downright gross, but the special effects are good. Not a movie I'd recommend nor ever see again.

Ugly? "Hitcher." "Hitcher" is a remake of a film with Rutguer Hauer as the bad guy. Todays was Sean Bean. The hero was a woman in this one. Sean plays a serial killer. He kills lots of people, and this film is much more graphic than the original...of course. People are murdered left and right, lots of cops get killed as well as civilians, lots of suspense as this man toys with a couple, many scenes not believable, but the suspense carries you through to the end. Intense, bloody, and the story, though unbelievable, is easy to believe at least for that moment. I recommend it if you like lots of murder scenes including cop killings.

Extremely Funny! "Hot Fuzz," by the folks that brought you, "Sean of the Dead," even with some of the same actors. I thought this movie would be easy to predict and make me laugh. However, it wasn't all that easy to predict, and made me laugh harder than I imagined. I won't give it away, but you all have to see this film. Funnier than funny. Check it out.

Rosanne Barr has a new stand-up video out. Funny, politically clear, but not as funny as in the old days. She has her moments though. She about finished my poor sweetie off (she has pneumonia) with a few jokes. "Rosanne Barr-Blonde and Bitchin'." It was good, and I recommend it, but it is not as biting as she was in the good old days.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]