Thursday, April 26, 2007

 

Yellow Dust Woman

There is a minor admission of guilt for the murders of thousands of native children for the first time by the Canadian Parliament.

I wanted my Blackfoot mother, who adopted me and Felicia some 6 or 7 years ago, Yellow Dust Woman, to speak since she was a survivor. I hadn't talked to her in over a year and called, only to find out that a week ago, April 19, she passed away of a heart attack at their local bingo hall. She passed quickly, and the family seems to be doing well. The world is a better place for having had her wonderful awesomeness in this world. She had requested that people don't mourn too much and to live strong. What a wonderful human being.

I dedicated today's "Mitakuye Oyasin" radio program to her and played the song I want played at my funeral, "Visions of a Native American" by the late great Jim Pepper, for her in honor.

Today's show was also about the Amnesty International report (www.amnestyusa.org) about the high rates of rape of indigenous women. Fitting.

Yellow Dust Woman was also a survivor of the Canadian boarding school system. I miss her. I shouldn't have put off calling her for so damned long, but there you go. If you have loved ones you haven't talked with in a while...you know what to do!

YELLOW DUST WOMAN! PLEASE SEND REPLACEMENTS! I know we have many already, but a few more...OK...a whole lot more wouldn't hurt one bit. I Love you, and will miss you greatly!

Your son, Eugene Douglas Johnson





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]