Sunday, February 25, 2007

 

Life is Good!

I've been thinking some about my personal history lately.

I've been having this wonderful feeling that I will be hiking the North Face of Mt. Adams twice this year. Once in early summer once in late summer. It's a tough hike, but fun and gorgeous. For some reason, this made me think of an incident, one of the first things I wrote about on my blog.

I was hiking on Hamilton Mountain behind Beacon Rock in Washington. A guy broke his leg sometime after I hiked by there. His wife ran by and I did my best to make contact with 911 finally getting the folks almost at the bottom of the hike and was asked to hike back up and hang with the man until the first rescue worker got back up there. When I got there, he was talking a lot to a couple that had stopped to keep him company until help came along. They were talking books. I stepped to the side and was hoping he wouldn't talk with me because I really didn't feel like talking. He started asking me about what I was reading and I told him, "Conquest," by Andrea Smith. Which eventually led me to talk about the genocide of indigenous folks in this nation and prompting me to say "I want everything back." After the rescuers got there, I got ready to head back down and the man shook my hand and said he hoped I did indeed get everything back. Far contrast from the usual discussion that happens when bringing this up to white folks, which is: "Where will I get deported to?" And I find one of my copies of the book here at the BOO in my box. Thanks LA.

Life is really really good considering all the crazy crap I've been going through. Through it all, it has felt like a tidal wave and when the wave retreats, there I am, still standing on the beach, soaking, heart racing, alive and unhurt, wondering what the fuck just happened.

I look forward to my hikes this summer. I look forward to concerts, singing and dancing, laughing, hanging out with friends, Revolution, making new friends, finding and meeting more heroes, eating good food, taking care of myself, writing, etc. Life is good! Life is really really good!





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]