Friday, February 09, 2007

 

Giving

At the vigil on Tuesday, there was a small group of folks heading back to San Fran after hanging out at the beginning of the Watada trial at Fort Lewis.

We were all chit-chatting and discussing this and that. I was talking with an indgenous woman whose name I forget. An elder homeless woman came up and asked for some money. We both immediately dipped into our pockets and gave her money. It was great to see someone else who gave to the homeless without question. I always give when asked, if I have it. Even if they are going to medicate, I'll give. Who the fuck am I to deny them something that makes them feel comfort in their dire times?Then the woman said something I never heard anyone say that gave money to the homeless: "Pray that we bring an end to this war, grandma. Pray for us to bring our people home."

I also like what Martin Prechtel said when confronted by friends about giving money to the homeless that asked for it. They, of course, were telling him things like, "You know what they are going to do with it." A kind of feigning concern because they don't seem to care the person is LIVING ON THE STREETS and how did that happen. They also don't care about people with jobs and what they do with their money, why do they put restrictions on these folks. Anyways, Martin told them, and with his rather large beautiful smile: "What if they're a spirit come to see if Martin is being generous?"





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]