Thursday, December 14, 2006

 

Jerry Mander

Rhonda and I went to see Jerry Mander read from a compilation book he co-edited about indigenous rights all over the world. The book is titled "Paradigm Wars." It looks like a good book. Rhonda bought a copy and I'll probably read hers as I'm currently spending a mass of my money on a car today.

Jerry, good man who has done good work, I must admit (sorry Jerry), about made me fall asleep. He's not the best lecturer I've heard, not the worst, but there were times when Rhonda and I would poke each other to keep each other awake.

The most interesting part was the conversation afterward. There was discussion of indigenous peoples doing eco-tourism, which also brings about various forms of racism as well as cultural destruction with some benefit, mostly cash. However:

As Rhonda pointed out in the conversation there was very little discussion of genocide not just historically, but today as well. She brought up the fact that when Indiegnous peoples try to create their own economy, they are destroyed by the U.S. government. The genocide continues to this day, she pointed out, and it needs to stop.

I followed up with the fact that almost all indigenous perspective now comes from the point of occupation. The U.S. IS an occupational government and occupations ARE KEPT BY FORCE! Indigenous perspective comes from occupation and survival of genocide.

By the way, yes, I'll be posting more pictures. It just takes time because I have to use a different computer using somewhat time consuming methods.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]