Thursday, November 09, 2006

 

Why I Love KBOO So Much!

After hopping the bus to my current residence this morning, I caught a ride in with the wonderful and great Lisa Loving. Lisa is the PM news director in Lame Duck right now as she is resigning at the end of the month...sadly. It is tough work and has taken a toll on her, but she is awesome and wonderful and a great friend and has opened her house to me to stay for a month or so. One reason I Love KBOO is all the wonderful people here like Lisa.

I got here and had nothing for todays show. I had been busy getting my shit together for the reading I did last night that I realized on my way in this morning that I had nothing for the show.

Marcy Foster, a Native PSU student called and informed me that author and professor Robert Miller had written a book called, "Native America Discovery and Conquest: Thomas Jefferson, Lewis and Clark and Manifest Destiny." After getting the flier from Marcy about Robert's talk at the PSU Native American Community Center on November 20 at 7pm, I noticed he teaches at Lewis and Clark College (the irony is part of this, enit?). I called up about 45 minutes before the show and requested an itnerview. He called back, and guess what? David Liberty and I interviewed the man on the air. I gotta meet this guy, he does some awesome work. I can't wait to get his book and read it. It sounds really good.

Like clockwork, about an hour before the program, Leigh Anne had our bi-monthly announcements sent to me via e-mail. Leigh Anne is my friend, and I managed to drag her into the station and get her to volunteer. She is now part of the Bread and Roses radio collective and has done many radio programs on this station especially around issues of racism. Leigh Anne is a hero of mine and is so awesome. She does great work and is a great human being. THANK YOU LEIGH ANNE!

As I was getting prepared for the radio show, I heard from this little hallway where I am writing this now that "Utah Phillips is in the house." I didn't know he was coming to town. I had always wanted to meet Utah. I drove down here one time to meet him about three years ago (I couldn't afford tickets to see him) and missed him by about five minutes. I walk into the front room, and there he is. I shook his hand. He is a humble and wonderful man. We talked a bit. He told me of some of his work with the Dine back in the '50's. He told me that the name Benally means "grandson." He told me a little story about that whole thing and it was so wonderful. Emily Young, another wonderful KBOO volunteer, told Utah how she was in Vermont. He asked where, she told him, and he knew the place. Talked about being on a freight train just North of the town. FUCKING COOL! Then David showed up as Utah was on Robin Shante's show (another hero of mine), "Dharma Wheel." I asked David if he had ever met Utah Phillips. He said he always wanted to. I pointed into the air room and David got to talk with him for a few minutes before we went on the air. FUCKING COOL!

I met my second wife here...not so cool...but this is still the greatest place on earth. So many people Love this little radio station. When I gave tours to Eve and her children and Maya, they were both amazed that such a little place puts out such big radio.

I bragged about how our radio station has a little wagon with a coffee can antenna as a remote. How me and some volunteers rolled the thing across the Burnside Bridge to the May Day event this last may. How we sat that tiny thing in front of one of those hundreds of thousands of dollar jobbies that the major networks use. We have this little wagon, they have the hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment, we tell the truth as best we can, they distort the truth or lie. It makes me think of the Chief Joseph quote: "It takes very few words to speak the truth." It takes very little equipment to speak the truth on the airwaves. It takes a lot of expensive equipment to keep the populace misinformed and to manufacture consent. Then, while the music was playing, Bill, the man who created our little remote called and told us how he made the antenna to form a Peace Sign. Fucking awesome! This is, indeed, the greatest fucking place on earth.

I met my Maori Sister, Kelly Martin, here. We still keep in contact and encourage each other in our work on what seems opposite ends of the world. But the Maori have been world travelers for centuries. I'm sure her people and my people have hooked up at some point. Kelly is awesome and anther wonderful human being I have met because of this wonderful little radio station.

I wish I could have met Spalding Gray, who visited and was interviewed at this station some years ago. He did the film "Swimming to Cambodia." Gotta see it folks. You gotta see it. Unfortunately, he committed suicide before I could meet him and not long after the first time I saw that film.

I met my wonderful friend Julie Sabatier here. She was blue haired at the time and offered me a shoulder to cry on after my cousin was murdered almost two years ago.

Rhonda and I first came into contact at this station. After we got together, she informed me that she called and asked about a poem I read on the air. She asked who the author was and I informed her it was me. She was amazed and asked for a copy, which I sent her several weeks after she asked. Wow! I remembered that. Fucking cool! I Love this radio station. I Love my sweetie Rhonda.

Kathleen Stephenson is the AM news director and completely awesome. While I was still single, I used to come here in the morning before work and in the afternoon afterwork and Kathleen was here. She works a lot in this place. She has done a lot of great work in this radio station. AWESOME!

I met my friend and brother Jim Craven here. He has done so much good political work for the Blackfoot nation. He is so intelligent and well informed and has taught me a lot about this world. FUCKING AWESOME!

I do a radio program here every year called "Genocide Cover-Up Day," which I inherited from Theresa Mitchell, then Steve Mitchell. It is done every alleged Thanksgiving. This year it will be from 7am to 11am in which we open up the phone lines and talk about genocides past, present, and into the future. What it is, how it works, who it is happening to, who is perpetuating it, etc. Jim might not make it for this show, he may be in China doing political work. I hope to have Inga Muscio on and a fellow who read poetry on last years will come down as well. Leigh Anne may come down and hang out, and we will discuss genocide. What other station does this. Hey, maybe I'll call my friend Kelly and she can tell us of the battle of the Maori against the genocidal forces of the imperialist pieces of shit that occupy their land just south of here.

And the list goes on and on and on and on. There is so much to Love about this place. KBOO IS THE GREATEST FUCKING PLACE ON EARTH!





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]