Thursday, November 16, 2006

 

Vigil 11.14.06

When Rhonda and I arrived to do yet another vigil, her for 16 months, me for some six months, which we participate in every Tuesday afternoon, we started discussing ending this journey.

Initially there was a lack of response from passers by, and in fact, Rhonda and I were initially the only folks there which we found disheartening as well. We considered making this the last time we did this event.

We had to move from our place on the side of the street to allow a person to park, an elderly woman driver and a younger man in the passenger side. He got out and came to the driver side to help the older woman out of the vehicle. The both smiled and nodded at us. Then he walked up and told Rhonda and I "Thank you for what you are doing! Keep up the good work!" or something like that. Rhonda and I laughed at each other as we realized this will not be the last time.

The soldier boys were wandering about and I tried to make a bit of a connection with them. A new vigiler showed up, Christine. She held a sign with us. Then another new vigiler, a woman I didn't recognize, carring a white board erasible sign whose simple slogan I forget at this moment. Paul drove by and joined us, and then when I turned around I was surprised to see Deva and Elaine holding their large banner, "Don't Die For Lies!"

Rhonda had been discussing with me ending this project for a while now. It was funny that when she decided she didn't want to do it anymore and me, the one who always kept cheering her on at these times was even agreeing that I didn't want to do it anymore, along come a bunch of people and by the end, the support was even greater.

I was happy to see the young black man there, but unfortunately the recruiter was on crutches. We actually had a brief interpersonal conversation, bringing us to an understanding that neither of us mean harm to the other.

So, here we are. Still at it. Still dancing down the grass to make people aware of what else is going on around them.

We had worried that with the new alleged democratic congress, that people had come to a belief that it will all soon be over. Now, I believe, the people "won't get fooled again." (teeheeheeeheeeheee!)





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]