Thursday, November 30, 2006

 

Art for Peace

I'm feeling kind of depressed today. But that doesn't matter all that much, if at all.

The question constantly on my mind is how do we change things in this world gone insane? How do we bring about universal health care? How do we bring about universal day care? How do we get REAL equal rights for women? And so much more!

Today I'm kind of depressed. But that doesn't really matter to me. It is something I can and will set aside and continue to try to figure out something effective I can do in order to bring about the change I believe this world needs.

We need to stop being cruel to each other, to the world as a whole.

I talked with Rhonda and I told her that I believe that the change we need in this world will come from the artists. She told me she believes the same thing. She asked when I made that realization. I made that realization while watching "Joyeux Noel." It was the Scotsmen playing a song on the pipes and singing. Then a famous German Tenor started singing Christmas carols, and the Scots played along on their pipes. Then the German Tenor stepped from his trench singing and carrying a small Christmas tree. Then there was peace that lasted a few days in that tiny horrifically war torn area on Christmas eve and Christmas Day of 1914 in France. It's the artists who will bring about change.

I also think of the movie "Scared Sacred," though the idea didn't occur to me then. There was an interview with a couple that lived in Sarajevo during the Ustashi's constant barrage of death that lasted for years under Milosivec. They survived and constantly created artworks in order to protect their sanity under these horrifically real conditions of constant fear. I want one of those pieces of artwork. I want a museum of art in war to create peace. I want a life of art that creates peace.

It's time to change everything.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]