Monday, November 20, 2006

 

4 Poems


HALF & HALF

Ghost and Human
One foot on earth
One dangling in space
Food and Hunger
Feast and Famine
Red and White
Everything and...
Nothing

I don't feel "right." I don't know what it means to feel "right." Dangling from a scarf that's dancing in the wind. I harness myself in. Love and hate the ride. Joy and Terror! Laughter and tears! Nothing and Everything...

Heaven and Earth!
Body and Soul!
Today, Tomorrow, Yesterday
Everything in between
and all around...

Nothing... and Everything...




UNDERSTAND

I did not understand Rap until I heard Without Reservation.

I did not understand Punk until I heard Blackfire.

I did not understand Heavy Metal until I heard System of a Down sing about genocide.

I started to understand Improvisational Jazz when I heard Jim Pepper play "G.A. Custer Got the Biz" or "Buzz."

I turned on the truck and thus, the radio, and thought I heard powwow singing...which turned out to be a sax playing Improvisationjal Jazz and another step toward understanding.

Eugen Rashad said "Improvisational Jazz is music that happens in the moment."

It sounds like Chaos to me.

From Chaos comes art.

Chaos as art.

I'm starting to understand...


CHECK PLEASE...

Last week, I backed into a dumpster.
All I got was:
Write it up on your "cry sheet" and don't do it again.
No bitch out?
No write up?
No pee test?
No "red check" in my employee file?

I had my truck so centered
I couldn't see the thing in my mirrors
Not even when I pulled away.

I thought I was careful.
Now,
I'm more careful.


BEAUTIFUL DAY

The sun shines bright
on the horizon
An orange orb
behind smoky clouds of fog
Rising through the trees
buildings
and traffic noise
illuminating
distant
shining
clouds from white
to bright orange and yellow.






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]