Tuesday, September 05, 2006

 

"The Root Worker" and more

I just finished reading "The Root Worker" by Rainelle Burton. It is a book about poor blacks in Detroit in the 1960's. It is an amazing and troubling piece of work. It is stories I've heard, witnessed, and experienced in many different forms. It is amazing and troubling. It is well worth reading. My poor fellow humans. We have a lot of work to do to make this world a better place. I highly recommend reading this book. It did trigger some emotional stuff in me because it does have incest rape in it, but it was well worth it. The story opens up to beauty and healing in the end.

Speaking of having our work cut out for us, I have been making many journeys into my least favorite part of town, Beaverton. Not only is it flat and boring, I can tell a large majority of the people don't give a shit about what is going on in the world. Why should they? The war in Iraq doesn't directly effect them. Neither does the rape of women in Darfur nor the genocide there. Neither does the poverty on U.S. reservations. Neither does the rampant child rape and sex abuse in this country. Neither does... Then I think of the vigil that has been going on by the Library in Beaverton for over a year now and have hope.

I have now dove into the book "Body of Secrets" by James Bamford. It is a book about the NSA (National Security Agency). Since I mentioned them, I'm sure they are now picking up this little tidbit. This book is a must read. America is sick. There is no level playing field anywhere, and that is NOT freedom, it is privilege. So, to you NSA folks who might be reading this: What is so wrong with peace. Read Smedley Darling Butler's book "War is a Racket." You are not protecting our freedom, you are protecting the wealth of the already wealthy. You are helping to keep those on reservations in poverty. You are helping to kill people all over the world in the name of corporate greed. Please, do something to HELP the people. Stop doing shit that brings more death and wealth for the overly privileged here in the "Land of the Privileged." When my alleged freedom comes at the suffering of others so I can write this message to you on this computer, that is NOT freedom, that is privilege. I know I am privileged, even though I don't belong to the privileged classes or race. Sadly, I benefit from the type of work you do. I'd rather we all live in peace. Besides, like the sign I hold out in front of the recruiting office on 1317 NE Broadway every Tuesday from 5:30 to 6:30 says..."Killing is Wrong." And here is another bit for you, brothers and sisters, my fellow humans who work for the NSA: "Never support a war you are not willing to take up arms and fight in yourselves because you are asking others to do your killing for you." Besides, complicity in killing is killing also.

Maybe I'll see you at the recruiting station some Tuesday, taking pictures of us like the recruiters sometimes do in an attempt to intimidate. If you show up, let me know, and I'll tell you about the "Death Vision" a friend of mine had. Doesn't have to do with end times, just taking responsibility for actions and what has happened because of our actions...or inactions.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]