Wednesday, September 27, 2006

 

And Another Vigil Under Our Belt

Yesterdays vigil was quite interesting.

We had a good handful of people there.

Early on, a woman drove rather aggressively toward us, like she wanted to run us over. After she parked, she came at us screaming and yelling with her child in tow. Rhonda said she yelled at her kid to "TELL THEM WHERE YOUR FATHER IS! AFGHANISTAN!"

She went into the recruiting station, then re-emerged with the same ferocity. "GO ARMY!" she was screaning at us. "I Lover your soldiers!"

"So do I," I yelled back.

She had such a ferocity in her eyes, I swear that if she had a gun she would have shot some of us.

Then some young men walked by a couple of times speaking about how good the army is. They drove by screaming from their car, "GO ARMY!"

"SIGN UP!" I yelled. "I'LL HOLD THE DOOR FOR YOU!" "Chickenshits," I said under my breath as they drove safely away. Then they came back by again and screamed "GO ARMY!" repeadedly. I again told them to "SIGN UP!"

I think it would be offensive to those recruiters. These young guys screaming "GO ARMY," and not being willing to sign up. I could imagine them saying, "Hey, you guys in uniform. Could you go over and kill a bunch of Iraqi's and Afghani's for me. Maybe get your leg shot off or be blinded in a bombing. Suffer in the heat. Suffer in the boredom. Rape some of your women comrades. Us? We're gonna stay here where it is safe and comfortable in our daddies home. Sneak a few of his beers. Smoke some pot. We'll be nice and safe...You guys risk your life for me and my beliefs."

Other than those two incidents, we received a lot of support. Sometimes the honking was so loud you couldn't think. IT WAS GOOD!

I started flipping the recruiters the peace sign as well as showing them my "Killing is Wrong" sign. They paid no attention to me. Before we left, I flipped a recruiter a peace sign, and he acknowledged me with a nod.

Rhonda commented on how they told the little boy with the nutty mother to come in and get a ball. Branding, as it were. Rhonda joked that we should hand out balls. "You're gonna need one," she imagined telling a new recruit, "after you get yours blown off."





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]