Sunday, August 13, 2006

 

Work and Reflection

I like my new work, I don't care so much for the graveyard shift, however. The change has brought about a profound lack of sleep, but my body and soul are dealing with it well enough. I just can't wait to get on the driver shift though, as it looks like I'll be at least one more week in the warehouse on graveyard. When I was told because of my experience that they would most likely have me in the warehouse just one week, that I kind of knew that was bullshit, but I don't take it personally. I know all will work out. It always does.

About midweek, I was feeling all sorts of things. In my mind, I was thinking of hanging around there for about two years as I look to create my own economy again. But I also know that I could drive there for years to come until retirement. I am strongly aware that it is not the kind of place I want to advance in as I've seen that management gets rather abused as far as workload, and well, I like having a life outside of my work. Advancement is not something I'll seek there, but the work itself is damned easy for me and I look forward to being on the road.

I watch my fellow employees and realize that I was most of them at one time or another. The pissed off fellow who takes his work personally, and many on different levels. The overworked management fellow. The underappreciated. There are so many people there with so many different feelings and I was picking up on a lot of them because I am more aware of how my life has lead me in my work place. Like a lot of my life has been lately, it is a reflection of who I was, the path I took to get here. That makes me wonder where the heck I am.

The work, like I said, is easy for me. This is what I do to make money, and nothing more. It is not my life, though it is a part of my life. I don't think the management knows exactly what to think of me because I don't do the power over thing that they so enjoy, or at least like to do. I don't get upset at the crazy ass chewings that they give people, in fact, more often than not, it makes me laugh. I have not received an ass chewing because I do my job and know how to look busy when there is nothing to keep my busy (which drives me nuts).

My life is being reflected on me. I have lived in this area for 41 years. A lot of it catches my eye. A lot of it reflects my history. Sometimes I feel trapped, almost like I don't belong here anymore. At other times I imagine what it would be like to have Portland as a home base and travel the world with Rhonda. It's a possibility that I enjoy imagining.

I feel a change a coming. I know change has already formed in my life without me being aware of it. I'm not sure what is coming, but I know it is good, especially with my Lover-Love wife, Rhonda.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]