Monday, June 26, 2006

 

Sweet and Sour

Saturday, I came into KBOO to do a training in Production 1, but prior to doing so, I went to Grendel's to get my usual large Grendel's Ghost. I whipped out my money and my frequent drinker card when Eric, the owner, pulls a $20 from beside the cash register. He snaps it in front of me, and I'm wondering what the heck he's doing. Is he giving this to me? Has he lost his mind?

Turns out, some fan of "Mitakuye Oyasin," the KBOO radio program I host, asked if I was doing a reading there any time soon. Eric said no. So the man gave him a $20 in order to pay for my drinks until it is gone. FUCKIN' A!

Today, for lunch, I went to Sunrice on Morrison and 7th. I wasn't all that impressed, but had felt the desire to go there and have lunch. I sat at a table and ate sweet and sour pork and attempted to read the Venezualan Constitution (which I am so much more impressed by first nine articles covering the fundamental principles than I am the WHOLE U.S. constitution and subsequent laws).There was commercial radio blasting in my ear, traffic noise just outside the window, a loud refrigerator, and a television blasting the Channel 8 news. What a fucking joke!

I rarely watch television news because I find the misinformation or lack of any "real" information to fucking offensive. But there it was, and for my two or three times a year personal anthropolical study, I watched the senseless shit for about 15 mintues. First, there was an attempt at a fluff piece brought to the audience by a perfecty coifed and beautiful woman in fancy clothes. I couldn't make out what it was about, and they didn't get the right video to go with it, so they went to a commercial. Commercials...gotta hate them. Besides, the mainstream TV news is just filler for the commercials.

They came back showing some man running around in a kitchen wearing a stereotypical chefs hat so you know he has something to do with food, and he was talking about, you guessed it...FOOD! This went on for several minutes, but due to my severe lack of interest and the fact that viewing this shit feels like I am punishing myself, I have no idea what he was talking about.

Then they returned to the newscasters giving each other small talk because the alleged news viewing audience is more interested in personality than...well...news. Then about 3 or 4 minutes of weather. Today...it is HOT in Oregon, but will be cooling down in the days to come.

And then, to promote the paint business, they did another fluff piece about paint. My lunch being over, I left at this point.

I didn't see anything about, say, the fact that auto companies will be cutting out some 50,000 jobs, or giving Bush supreme power to spy on ALL U.S. citizens, battle in Ramadi, war in Iraq or Afghanistan, building war against Iran and North Korea, the nuclear waste derail in Michigan, or any other...well...news.

Sweet and sour...Sick and Sad!





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]