Tuesday, May 30, 2006

 

Nuclear Resistance

The desert at the test site is rocky. Lots of stones and crystals. Lots of rose quartz and stones with quartz crystals. Yucca plants. Joshua trees(?). Little barrel cacti. We saw a dead rat/rodent and this made us wonder. It was decayed, but nothing had eaten it. Makes one think. Corbin would later talk about how animals would be running or flying away damaged from the nuclear bomb tests.

I had asked several people of the testing was done right over there, across the distance near the feet of the mountain range on the other side of the road, and I was told yes, but it didn't make sense to me that they would do it right out there in the open like that. After Corbin Harney and the Shoshone representation showed up, I asked one of them. "They test about 5-10 miles on the other side of that mountain range," it was explained to me. That made sense.

The Peace Camp was on the other side of the road from the nuclear bomb test site. Butted up against the hills was a tiny city in the distance. Various structures that seemed randomly enacted all over the valley on the other side of the road. I kept looking under the underpass at the other side where the entrance to the city of death was. After our camp was set up and we connected with the larger group, I told Rhonda I wanted to walk up and see the gate.

Having thought I wouldn't need a coat in the desert (hahahaha), I wrapped in a blanket, and Rhonda and I headed under the underpass toward the gate. I didn't know what to expect as neither of us had been there before. There is no actual gate there. It is an opening for a two lane road that leads down the distance of a couple of miles to the tiny city of death. Between the metal fence posts on the opposite sides of the road is a white line painted on the asphalt. On the other side of the line on the right hand side is a metal shack that looks like an old manufactured home. There were several men standing by an SUV out in front, two in uniform. Rhonda and I went right up to the line and stopped and prayed with tobacco as one of the soldiers fingered his weapon making us aware of his willingness to kill his unarmed fellow Americans.

A sign on the opposite side of the road stated that the Nevada Test Site was operated by Bechtel Corporation. A bomb test means millions or billions of dollars in free tax payer money to wealthy white men that run these corporations.

BECHTEL RUNS THE NEVADA TEST SITE!
THAT IS BECHTEL CORPORATION!

The next morning we were awakened to the drum. I was dreaming and I heard someone telling me to come play with the drum. The drum was calling me to play. Rhonda and I went to dance with others who had already gathered around that kindly old man, Corbin Harney, as he sang honorings to the morning sun for yet another day. Soon the handful of people turned into about 40 or 50 people dancing in a circle hand in hand until the sun rose over the mountains.

Before the big event from 11-2, Rhonda suggested we load our chanunpas and pray at the line. We asked Corbin and Carrie Dann for their permission and they told us that whatever we can do. We loaded our pipes and emerged from our tent to immediate ridicule from out co-peace conspirators. We walked down to the line by ourselves. rhonda suggested praying in the middle of the road. The idea scared me at first, but then she explained it to me that we had permission from two Shoshone elders to pray on their land.

We got to the line, knelt in front of it on a scarf she had brought, and before we could start praying, a Nevada Sheriff approached us from the other side of the line. There were more military security there than from the day before. "I'm just here to protect you," he said as we knelt before the line. "I'm gonna make sure no one runs you over." He guided a few cars through that had come up from behind us.

We started making our prayers when the cop said, "You're only smoking legal stuff, right?" I said yes, and Rhonda stated, "that's a rather ethnocentric question to ask, isn't it?"

As we made our prayers, I noticed the shadows of our pipes were on the other side of the line. As we prayed, there was all sorts of ridicule coming form the members of the military. I prayed for them because I know that often there are spiritual consequences for such behavior. I've seen it. I know that people often are not aware of the connection even when karma comes to visit for actions or inactions. So I prayed for those men as well. Prayed for their protection and health as they are working in one of the most radiated places on earth.

Prayer is an important thing, and there is not enough prayer done over places such as this. Prayers for the healing of the land, of the people that work there, for the return of the land to the Shoshone people.

We smoked our pipes to the ridicule from our fellow Americans, as it were, and got up. We shook the hand of the cop and thanked him. His name is Alan. I tried to shake the hand of one of the military personell and he was scared enough of me to not want to touch me. Undoubtedly he had a willingness to kill me and Rhonda, his fellow Americans. I could feel it from his soul. He would say he is willing to kill to protect our freedom, he is also willing to kill us because we scare him. Brave enough to kill unarmed people. People armed only in prayer. I learned important lessons at that line. Odd that we were ridiculed at both ends of our journey.

The big rally was to the left side of the gate on the desert floor. There were only 100-150 people there. Rhonda and I listened to a few of the speeches, then went back to tear down our camp. Then we heard of the civil disobedience of people crossing the line. Many arrests were made. Rhonda witnessed a child who was crying as his mother was arrested, and released a little later, much to the childs relief. Carrie Dann was arrested, and by the time we all left, I believe she was still refusing release along with her lawyer, Julie.

We hid the road, and it is so odd, this desert area. Many of the towns are dead or partially dead. Abandoned of the life that was intended to remain and colonize. Only remnants. Broken buildings, abandoned factories, vehicles abandoned and rusting from years of not being used. Big dump trucks rusting and dying or dead in the desert. We stopped at a rest area in a small town, and it was the only thing alive there. I walked to the edge of the road and looked at all the abandoned homes just on the other side of the street. I was confused and awed by this crazy spectacle.

The first town we came to that was semi-alive is Hawthorne, which also had some abandoned buildings and vehicles, but was mostly alive with life we didn't see a whole lot of. Hawthorne, Nevada is home of the Naval Warfare Center. Naval Warfare right there in the middle of the desert, just South of Walker Lake. It is a town of the military industry and its towns decorations consist of unused bomb heads and its playground at the rest area is "twin 50's" from a naval ship. The towns decorations is weaponry, out there in the middle of the desert, in the middle of an ammunition dump, where, though there were apparent signs of life, very little human life was seen. Fucking crazy, man!

And, after another 18 hour journey, we were home. This time without the snow storm in the mountains. And I'm here to offer a message from Corbin..."They only understand numbers." Get out there and do what you can. The more people who resist the insanity of this cult of death and destruction, the better chance we can change the world. Do what you can. Support where you can. You...are the savior of the world. You are the prayers for the seventh generation and beyond. You are the prayer for the generations RIGHT NOW! We can do this folks. We can end the crazy killing that is wafare...I have seen it!





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]