Monday, March 27, 2006

 

Dancing and Drugs

I just got back from going with Felicia and her mom to a spring break dance class being given by the Milwaukie High School dance team. After hanging out for a few before the class, I was informed by Felicia's mom, Lisa, that we are not allowed to hang out because it is a closed session. I don't get to watch the little girl dance. I have danced with Felicia and plan on doing so on into the future.

I requested a ride from my ex, Lisa, Felicia's mom, on back to KBOO where I enjoy hanging out. Chuck has since called me and is going to buy me a cup of joe, where I am heading right now and will write the drugs end of this post later.

Time to finish this post (hey! did I tell you all I'm part Finnish?).

While driving across town and back to KBOO, Lisa started telling me about a friend of hers that has four young boys and is worried that two of them may be huffing. They have mood swings. One sprays some sort of cologne around his room when he hears his mom approaching the door. There is no smoke present, so it is not marijuana, and mood swings are not a symptom of smoking anyway. Mood swings are usually a reaction to a chemical or a stimulant (natural or chemical). I also asked if her boys were big, as in size of their bodies. She said no. I was thinking that it might be sterioids because that drug causes big mood swings and often times violence. Alcohol also causes major mood swings, but that would be more apparent and have other easily recognizable behaviors which are not apparent in these cases. Huffing is an easily available activity for kids to self-medicate. It is also completely fucking dangerous as it has killed people and has caused serious physical damage in some people as to leave them seriously disabled. It is also popular among young people since the legal stuff is illegal for them because of their age.

I asked if the mother has asked if her children if they are huffing. She said no. I suggested that she do, even though they may lie. She could then take the opportunity to educate them about the the dangers of consuming these forms of drugs: glue, felt pens, paint, gasoline, etc. I strongly suggested that she tell her friend not only to educate and be truthful to her children about the effects of these types of drugs, but to educate herself as well. MOST IMPORTANTLY, EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Lisa told me she is very honest with Felicia about drugs. I am as well. I've already been strongly suggesting to Felicia that she avoid stimulants when she grows up should she choose to start experimenting, from caffeine to meth, cocaine, crack, etc. She was born addicted to meth. Her mother was a meth user. I also strongly request that she educate herself about any substance before she puts it into her body. For a long time, when Felicia would consume caffeine in the form of soda, she would literally change personalities. She would not be able to control certain aspects of her communication. She still drinks caffeinated sodas, but not all that much. I do my best to teach her the truth about drugs on the whole; their effects on the body temporary and long term, the dangers both physical and punitive, etc. She is intelligent and wonderful and more than anything, I want her to have the ability to make good and healthy decisions for herself. I will not be able to keep an eye on her the rest of her life, and I will have to trust her to take care of herself, and if I can do a good job as a parent, I will be able to trust her to make those decisions when she becomes an adult.

I also suggest this...go to http://www.mamas.org. This is Mother's Against Misuse and Abuse. They take factual information and offer it to people in order for people to make informed decisions about drugs and their uses. This goes for illegal and legal drugs. Over the counter drugs. Caffeine, alcohol, tobacco, perscpriptions, etc. "Drugs are bad...m'kay," just aint gonna work when our children are watching us drink alcohol, caffeine, zone out on television, etc. Try a little honesty. Works for me and hopefully, it is working for my daughter.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]