Saturday, December 10, 2005

 

Human Rights rally, 12-10

I participated in the Human Rights Rally, since it is the anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. I was kind of upset, though, that the Human Right most focused on was the right to join and form unions. The rest of that particular document seemed to be ignored.

I believe that there were close to 1500 people at the peak of the march. It is good to see so many people coming out for events like this.

The cops were well behaved, even when a portion of the crowd started swarming into the Benson Tower I guess it's called, The 1515 Building is all I saw. I positioned myself to walk away if the cops got hostile, but they were well behaved and there was no incidents nor arrests.

Like usual, very few people of color, and I understand this. Indians were not represented in the speakers, but then again, most Indians are apolitical. It's very difficult to get Indians to understand that politics is what was and is used to commit genocide against our people. We were trained to stay away from politics and the evil that the U.S. does because they will probably come after us directly again. I just refuse to live in fear.

I talked with my TV show producer, Jim Lockart, who was out their filming for his Friday cable access show. We discussed the Indian issue for a bit. Since he knew the organizers, I suggested that he get me invited to speak. But then again, I don't think anyone wants to hear what I have to say at these type of events. The crimes enacted against my people historically, currently, and on into the future. That according to all laws this is still our land. I have a tendency to believe that people at these types of events want us Indians to remain invisible. Don't want us to be a problem. But then again, hardly ever any Indians at these types of events. So why the fuck would they want Indians to talk at these things?

I didn't get hassled are arrested. No dirty looks from the cops like at other events. Early on I kept checking the perimeters. Looking for the escape routes. Worrying for the safety of the people from the thugs who are there to protect the wealth and the wealthy that own it. But the cops curbed their thuggery as stated previously. I never felt threatened as I have at other rallies.

Good rally. Good work. Got a lot of attention. Hopefully made some of the spectators think. Although I whipped it out a few times, there was really no need for the peace sign, it went that well.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]