Saturday, December 03, 2005

 

204

It's another beautiful day. It is so beautiful. The weather is cloudy. The energy thick. Clouds who suggest rain, not ready to commit. That energy, that beauty, that power.

Another day, Felicia and I catch the bus and head into town. We stood under big pink. I had her look up, and she thought that was so cool. A little change of perspective, because you see, she asked that question yesterday. Where's Waldo? I think it's been in her head a while. She points to a drawing of Indians. Indians in a conoe. Goofy looking Indians in a canoe. "Is that racist, dad?"

"Yes," I told her. I explained that in order to be recognized as a certain group, we are portrayed as looking a certain way. You'll see Indians doing things like rowing canoes, wearing headresses, women in buckskin, etc. You won't see an Indian doing everyday things. Going to the library. Feeding their kids before school. We're not everyday people. We are an odd living history of America. Those who refuse to die. Those who will still tell you we want it all back!

We cross the Burnside, and the power of the air is all around us. We laugh. We joke. She always wants to make me laugh. That is very important to her, but sometimes tries my patience.

Post: 204





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]