Thursday, October 20, 2005

 

Good Walk

After having a meeting about my book last night, my friend and publisher gave me a ride home, and I wound up leaving my bike here, thinking the walk across the bridge from downtown would be kind of nice that early in the morning.

On the bus, it started raining. I started anticipating a wet walk across the Burnside bridge. Thank goodness it wasn't raining hard on getting off the bus on 6th and Burnside. It was a serious drizzle, and I knew I would get wet.

I took a quick pace, but on getting about 1/4 across the bridge, I heard that ever familiar noice of the DING DING DING DING DING. And sure enough, the bridge was rising. Even though the rain would have more of a chance to soak me, the view was surreal with the rain and the bridge reaching to the sky like a prayer. Water drizzled down the grooves of pavement like tiny creeks. It reminded me of the glacier creeks on Mt. Adams. The street lights shined and the water reflected the light and it was quite the spectaular spectacle at 6:30am in the pre-dawn morning just above the Willamette River.

I searched the water for the object of the bridge raising, and there it was, coming from this side of the Morrison Bridge. A giant barge being pushed by a tug. The tug had a search/head light that reached from its position behind the barge to beyond the barge itself, lighing the way so the pilot would not run into things he shouldn't. It cut through the water creating ripples like a rock being dropped in a puddle, except much larger, of course. The rain was clearly visible in the white light of the searching lamp. It looked like a ghost in the darkness with all of the artificial light and action going on on the river.

I could hear the engine, then the barge headed beneath the open bridge. In a matter of a few minutes, the barge went beneath the opening and the tug pushing it dove underneath as well.

I made a tobacco offering before the bridge started lowering. When it was back in position a voice warned over the loud speakers to stand back as the guard rails were about to be raised. Up went the non traffic sides first, and the car engines seemed to start revving like they were preparing to start a race from a dead start. The arm raised, and they were off. Cars wizzed by as if they were all late for work. Then the oncoming traffic heading to downtown was reacting in the same manner.

I walked slowly at first, as bicycles passed close by. Then picked up my pace. I made one more tobacco offering of thanks at the part where the bridge separates, put my head down in an attempt to protect my already drenched glasses, laid the soles of my shoes to the pavement, and picked up the pace to prevent getting a thorough soaking.

"What a wonderful experience," I thought to myself, and then I was at my destination, the glass door of KBOO.

GOOD MORNING!





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]