Sunday, August 28, 2005

 

Revolution

I went to a neighborhood party last night.

It was fun, though the music was inconsistent. I don't talk much at these types of things and no one showed a special interest in getting to know me, but hey, free food and good people.

There was a Czech immigrant there, and he and my housemate, Heidi struck up a political conversation. Due to exhuastion, I was about to head out, but wound up in this coversation as well.

"Yeah, there was the genocide of the Native Americans, but America has paid for that. And there is NO oppression here. I experienced oppression by the Russians in Chechoslavakia."

I was too exhausted to stick around for any official discussion, but I informed Alex that if he believed that there was no oppression in this country he should go to a reservation. I could have also told him to visit neighborhoods in North Portland, have lunch at Sister's of the Road Cafe, check out the Street Roots office, and many other examples, but only "reservations" came out of my mouth.

"America hasn't paid for anything," I informed him about his comment. "And they'll never pay for anything. Not until they collapse under their own weight, which looks like it will be coming soon."

I have hit a wall as far as Revolution goes. Although I still make attempts and still help others in their movements, I don't think America is going to do anything to stop the moster that it has become until it collapses under its own weight. America seems to be a country where people are going to wait for the shit to hit the fan. No one is going to prevent it from hitting the fan. Most people just don't care from what I've observed in the communities around me.

I couldn't predict when or where the collapse is going to happen, but I can tell America is on the road to collapse. Tomorrow? Next week? Next month? Next year? Next generation? I couldn't tell you. What will happen when America collapses? I have no idea, really. One thing I do is keep the old metal surfboard ready to go in case it starts coming down while I'm alive. I plan on riding the waves of collapse. When the surf is down, I'll help rebuild, if there is anything left to rebuild.

I'd much rather have a Revolution and stop this shit before it happens, I just don't know how to make it start, though I never stop thinking about it and trying little things here and there. I don't see anyone or group standing above the fray and getting a Revolution started either. So I wait for the collapse that I see coming.

No reason to stop trying, though. I just think that the formula for change is a little trickier now.

Let's all start a Revolution.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]