Monday, August 08, 2005

 

Gathering of Flutes

Saturday, there was a "Gathering of Flutes" event happening at Mt. Hood Community College. It was a good event and a benefit for Native People's Circle of Hope, and cancer survivors network that targets Indians, but helps all people.

I flirted with the idea of buying a flute, but upon discovering the low end prices, and thinking about how much energy I'd put out in learning the instrument, I thought better of it. There were some spectaular pieces there.

I ran into Isaac Trimble, and excellent flute player and maker. I also talked with my co-host David Liberty, who was MCing. After making some rounds, I sat in the back and listened. It was a small gathering, but there was so many different events happening around town.

A student at the college came up behind me and informed me that some elders asked that I sit with them at their table. I was taken aback, not really thinking. His name was Al, and he is from the Pine Ridge reservation. We sat around and talked a little. I didn't say much, I was mostly into listening when amongst people I don't know too well.

We had a great salmon dinner. Shortly thereafter, I left. The auction was starting, and although the crowd was small, there were some good bids happening, so the fundraising worked anyway.

The website for Native People's Circle of Hope is: www.nativepeoplescoh.org.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]